Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Arts and Crafts Movement Revisited

In the early 1860's William Morris and other influential artists who called themselves The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood established a decorative arts firm which came to be known as Morris and Company. They sought to bring a return to a romanticised medieval ideal of the simple pleasures of home and hearth, pride in workmanship and lack of pretense to a world blighted by the Industrial Age. They created tapestries, stained glass, painted furniture, cloth and wallpaper- all by hand using skilled artisans. For the first time in history the craftsman's status was raised to that of an Artist.

I've spent many years in the decorative art world, and there were times when I felt that I wasn't a "real" artist. But now I realize that all art has a purpose and value. Our homes are sacred, and the objects we choose to surround ourselves with become part of us. When my art is invited to be a part of someone's sacred space I feel very humble. In this age of cheap, disposable objects those who feel the need to have original art are rare indeed.



This piece is for my own home. The painting is adapted from designs for tiles painted by Edward Burne-Jones for the Morris Company.












2 comments:

  1. Artists are people who make art. That makes you "real." Congratulations! This piece is one of my favorites so far - I love the pre-Raphaelites but this has your own style too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an artist's soul. You have an artist's touch. Your works reflect that and you are indeed an artist! Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete